They say all good things come to an end and this certainly applies to the popular Longdown Farmers Market. Longdown had its very own farmers market for exactly one year.
The first market was held on the 23rd January 2021 when the country was in the midst of Tier-4 Covid-19 Restrictions. On that cold January morning there was tasty free range chicken from Little Leigh Farm, fresh vegetables and preserves from Little Bowhay. Over the months and thanks to the tireless efforts of Cllr Marion Bulley and, John and Rachel of Little Leigh Farm, the market grew to include many producers with a variety of products.
Saturday, 22nd January may have been the last market day but we are grateful to all the stallholders who supported the market and remember they are still producing their wonderful products:
- Celia Moore Books – Longdown’s very own local author.
- ClareBear Rainbow Unicorn – Natural products to help you make eco alternatives to everyday items.
- Pink Cottage Flowers – Prepared hyacinth baskets and pots, prepared paper white baskets.
- Smelly Stuff UK – Bath salts, bath bombs and lovely smelling wax melts.
- Eve Martin – A Tropics Skincare ambassador with vegan beauty products.
- Buckfastleigh Walking Sticks – Crafting one-off unique walking sticks in Buckfastleigh.
- Beachside Bookworms – in partnership with Usborne – Books games & more.
- Naturally Beautiful with Jo – Body Shop Independent Consultant.
- Truly Scrumptious Chocolate Workshops – Handmade chocolates & kits to make your own.
- Valley Veg and Artichoke Essentials – Fruit & veg boxes.
- Sweet Sensations Patisserie – Established family business producing pasties, sausage rolls & sweet tarts.
- Little Bowhay – Devon Orchard Limited – Chutneys, Cordials, Curds, Jams, Marmalades, Pickles & Vinegars.
- Sweet Dreams – Andrea bringing lots of different sweet cones to choose from.
- The Little Pudding Shop – Fudge in bags, slabs & whole slabs in a variety of flavours.
- Devon Sand Box – Locally sourced sea glass turned into jewellery and gifts.
- Maryann Soper – with soap dishes, jewellery trays, slate crafts and bird boxes.
- Devon Wildlife Trust – Protecting wildlife and wild places across Devon.
- Marge Addicott – Lovingly crafted handmade cushions.
- Julie’s Funky Bags and Crafts – Handbags, cushions & doorstops.
- LucyOodledoo – Artist and sewist, creating Christmas items and decorations.
- Faye Wright – Handmade cards and small gifts.
- Jades Bakes Exeter – Local independent business selling fresh, delicious, home baked treats.
Finally, thank you to the community for supporting the farmers market. It was great to see everyone meeting on a regular basis and welcoming those new to the village. Hopefully, we will see everyone again at the Quiz and Curry Night on the 5th March or the Cream Tea and Easter Egg Hunt on the 10th April.