July is notable for two things this year. The most important is the end of the summer term and the beginning of the school holidays. Secondly, the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
There is a story of the pig and the hen having a conversation about how they are so important in the traditional British way of life. They each have a part to play in the Great British cooked breakfast.
The church was dedicated originally to St Nicholas, mentioned in a charter dated 1150. In the 15th century the manor was acquired by a member of the Denys family of Orleigh in Devon, and the church was then substantially reconstructed. The church was restored in the Victorian era in 1843-4, to the plans of the Exeter architect John Hayward with Henry Lloyd of Bristol. The north aisle was added at that time. The church contains a rare Easter Sepulchre, situated on the north side of the chancel. The advowson of the church was acquired by the Bishop of Wells, which made it into a prebendary for one of its canons. The advowson was acquired by the Bishop of Exeter in about 1850.
The altar is an ancient Spanish chest in carved oak from Culver House, one of the principal residences in the parish. The font is 15th century. There existed formerly next to the manor house a private chapel, demolished in the 18th century, the only remains of which are some stone blocks made into a mounting block by the church gate.